Wednesday, October 16, 2013

25 and the Hero of My Story

I'm officially 16 days into 25. A lot of my friends freaked when they joined the quarter century club. I don't know if it's a consequence of playing catching up to everyone in my class, or having friends who are years older who think I'm already 27, or just a general happiness about hitting another birthday, but I feel excited. I can honestly say that this was the best birthday I've ever had and I'm hoping that's a good omen for the year. (I'm also hoping that it doesn't end up being the best birthday ever for the rest of my life, because wouldn't that be sad to peak at 25?)

I felt incredibly blessed this year to have had SO many people who reached out with birthday wishes and made me feel special. (It could have also had to do with the ridiculous sugar high I was on thanks to the birthday destination to beat all birthday destinations: The Sugar Factory. If you haven't been there, you need to go. Order the Make a Wish Milkshake a.k.a liquid cake. You're welcome, America.) And because I decided that birthdays are never actually less than a week long, we celebrated at a hidden gem of a venue. Now I'm going to tell you the name of it, but only because the staff was ridiculously accommodating and over-the-top friendly that I want this place to do business so that all of those lovely people have jobs. Hudson Bond. There I gave away the secret. I'm pretty sure I don't need to go anywhere else on a Saturday night ever. 

After the birthday festivities: my parents came in town this past weekend and we decided to see a show—which we haven't done as an almost-whole family in a really long time (sorry, Emma!). We went to see Big Fish A New Broadway Musical. You know, based on the movie which was based on the book. Now I'm not a hater of musicals based in movies. (If I were I would have nothing to see.) On the contrary, I think more often than not these adaptations are huge creative successes (thanks Legally Blonde, Hands on a Hardbody, Kinky Boots, and Matilda). Big Fish can be added to that roster. Aside from the fact that Norbert Leo Butz should win another Tony, that Kate Baldwin has established herself as the Cate Blanchett of musicals (equal parts stunning, demure, talented), and that Susan Stroman has solidified her genius status, the bright colors and at times absurdity of Big Fish reminded me the importance of imagination.

How vastly underused is this unique human ability. 

With our iPhones in our hands we never have to wonder what anything looks like. Just google image it. Even in our storytelling, we've lost flexibility. How many times have you gone to a movie—let's say a rom com—and thought at the end "that would never happen." First of all, why not? Second of all, who cares? I'm starting to think we're all too grounded in reality. Why NOT tell a wildly fanciful story?

We lament getting older (and hitting birthdays like 25) because kids have more fun. And why do they have more fun? Because they invent fantasy worlds. They play pretend! Norbert's character is a BIG supporter of fantasy. The teller of tall tales, he sings to his son in the opening number "Be the hero of your story." On the one hand, I think he is saying that if you're telling the story and its all pretend, why not make yourself the hero? But, simultaneously, he urges his son to be the hero of his own life and each story that weaves the fabric of that life.

I realize that that's part of why I felt so amazing on my 25th birthday. I felt like the hero of my story. It's tradition that each birthday I reflect on the year before and think of the best moments of that year. Turns out, 24 had a lot of amazing moments. So at 25 I feel accomplished. Not hang-my-hat-up-and-retire accomplished, but on-a-good-path accomplished. I feel like the hero of my story and I'm excited for the surprise ending.

So while last year I officially became a writer, in this coming year I want to tell more stories. I want to exercise my imagination to the boundaries of absurdity and I want to consistently try to remain the hero of my true story.

No comments:

Post a Comment